A full house Feb. 9, 2010

Al

A full house Feb. 9, 2010

Al
Let me start with an apology, for the lag of photos, as I do not have a lens to match the photos in the forum. I arrived at the nest sight about 08:15, and with my binoculars could not see an adult in the nest, but I did see movement. I hurriedly set up my Handy Cam and began to record. A few minutes later the female flew in and began to feed two chicks. All the time watching with my binoculars. I called Ken and Trish with the news and when the disc was full began to pack and return home. When I got home I put the disc in the player to review ,and much to my surprise there was a third little head .  The female was feeding all three, so this will be something if they can all make it !

Re: A full house Feb. 9, 2010

Kelly Smith
How exciting!  3 chicks!  This is the day I have been waiting for,  an actual sighting of the babies. I can't wait to tell the students.

Re: A full house Feb. 9, 2010

vdelauz
AWESOME NEWS, Al!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Re: A full house Feb. 9, 2010

Al told me he has the video on a mini-disk. He used a Sony Handi-Cam. He does not know how to e-mail it or put it on the  Internet. maybe someone can advise him. I know we'd all love to see the three little guys on You Tube!

Re: A full house Feb. 9, 2010

Wow Al........you are definitely the "Milestone King" this year!  You were there for the hatching and now the first site of the little ones.......perfect rewards for all your time spent watching and documenting for all of us to enjoy!

When you called me with the news it was so amazing....the first call that you saw 2 little heads and then about an hour later when you got home and reviewed the video....3 little heads!!!!! I was so disappointed to be in NYC and not be able to get to see them also. It is both exciting and more worrisome to think of three mouths to feed.....but we'll take it day by day and know nature is in charge in any event. It sure will be interesting watching!

Re: A full house Feb. 9, 2010

On reviewing Al's video recording, I noticed one incident in which the second chick pecked quite vigorously at the smallest one. The largest (presumably first-hatched) chick was fed most frequently, and I saw the second taking food. The parent appeared to try to feed the smallest, but I could not confirm that it actually took the food. Obviously, it is getting some nutrition or it would not have survived so far, but even with the abundance of prey I think there is a probability of it being crowded out by its larger and more aggressive siblings. Last year, with only two eaglets, the oldest got her way, and when they exercised their wings, there was only room for one to do so at a time, with the younger (Hope) deferring to Justice.

Smith said he will try to put a segment of the video on You Tube.