Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Stephanie S
We live in Sunset lakes (Miramar, FL 33029) in the subdivision of Majestic Falls, and have had the pleasure of witnessing frequent visits from a bald eagle from our home.

The eagle perches on the highest peak of the lighthouse in the man-made island in the lake in our backyard. We often see the eagle sit there for many hours a day, often in the morning lately, but some afternoons too. We have seen it successfully hunt a bird that attempted to dive under water, but to no avail. It brought the bird up to the top of the lighthouse and began to feed. At that moment, there was a mad circling of birds directly above the lighthouse in apparent commotion and questionable panic.

Here is the location of the lighthouse
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3903%20SW%20189th%20ave%2C%20miramar%20fl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

The most recent spotting was today in the late afternoon while our family and some friends were in the pool.

We consider it an honor to be able to observe this guy (girl?), but also speculate about his observation of us...  ;-)

This is a recent video of the eagle. (Please see link.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVelGa7DWZk

Anyone know if this is the male or female?

Re: Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Very nice documentation of the Bald Eagle at Sunset Lakes. Kelly Smith
has seen it at the lighthouse as well. It would be interesting to find
out whether and where it nested. That location is about 2 1/2 miles away
from the Pembroke Pines nest, not a great distance for an eagle, but a
bit outside the 1-2 mile radius that they usually consider their own
territory. The next nearer known nest is at a greater distance to the
southeast. I often walk the levee of the 196th Avenue canal just west of
the lake, and so far have not seen any eagles overhead, as I might
expect if they were the PP birds foraging in your lake and carrying prey
to their nest..

I also live in Sunset Lakes, Monaco Cove, to your north, and have seen
eagles carrying prey towards the PP nest, about 2 miles to the NW of our
home.

The adults are still bringing food to the PP nest, even though the
eaglets are now flying freely. Please try to see if they carry prey in
any particular direction, and if so, let us know. Keep a watch out for
juvenile eagles, which are all black, and try to get a photo, if you
can. Next nesting season, in November, we should really try to discover
the location of their nest, as there could be an unregistered one in
your vicinity.

Thanks so much!

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

Stephanie S (via Nabble) - No Reply wrote:

> We live in Sunset lakes (Miramar, FL 33029) in the subdivision of
> Majestic Falls, and have had the pleasure of witnessing frequent
> visits from a bald eagle from our home.
>
> The eagle perches on the highest peak of the lighthouse in the
> man-made island in the lake in our backyard. We often see the eagle
> sit there for many hours a day, often in the morning lately, but some
> afternoons too. We have seen it successfully hunt a bird that
> attempted to dive under water, but to no avail. It brought the bird up
> to the top of the lighthouse and began to feed. At that moment, there
> was a mad circling of birds directly above the lighthouse in apparent
> commotion and questionable panic.
>
> Here is the location of the lighthouse
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3903%20SW%20189th%20ave%2C%20miramar%20fl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3903%20SW%20189th%20ave%2C%20miramar%20fl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl>
>

> The most recent spotting was today in the late afternoon while our
> family and some friends were in the pool.
>
> We consider it an honor to be able to observe this guy (girl?), but
> also speculate about his observation of us...  ;-)
>
> This is a recent video of the eagle. (Please see link.)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVelGa7DWZk
>

> Anyone know if this is the male or female?

Re: Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Kathy
Please remember if you do find a nest please do not get too close and disturb the nest.  Just take a picture from a distance.  Thank you!!!
live your life don't watch it go by . . .

Re: Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Good point.

I wonder if there is any possibility that the eagles are actually
nesting on the Lighthouse island. Have you ever seen two adults at once?

Katwoman (via Nabble) wrote:

> Please remember if you do find a nest please do not get too close and
> disturb the nest.  Just take a picture from a distance.  Thank you!!!
> You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
> sight of the shore . . .

Re: Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

Kelly Smith
I saw the eagle on the lighthouse last night - Easter evening.  I have not recalled seeing more than one at a time there, but I'm not over there that much.  I visited the island several years ago - no nests on the island.  I have always assumed they were the Pembroke Pines eagles - especially since Ken took their picture copulating just north of the lake.  Last year I saw them at Sunset Lakes for several weeks after last year's fledgling had left the nest.  It will be interesting to see if they hang out there again this year.

Re: Adult eagle likes to spend time in Sunset Lakes

lisa baumbach reardon
It is indeed a very small world when you see the two passions of your life come together for a momment in time! Stephanie and I work together at UM med school, and I have been invloved with the Eagle Watch project since about January!

A small and wonderful world indeed!