Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

Mary Lou and I checked on the welfare of the eagles on January 11 and today, the 33rd day since the first egg was laid. On the 11th we did not see any eagles on or near the nest, but we assumed that an incubating adult was low in the nest and not visible. The same for today, around 10:15 AM. We watched the nest for about 20 minutes before we saw the incubating adult suddenly stand up and shift its position. It quickly moved back down into the nest, so all I got was a shot of its head before it completely disappeared.

This is the first year when there were no recorded observations of both eagles at or near the nest at the same time during the incubation period. Usually that are several records of seeing one of the pair roosting nearby while the other is on the nest, and watchers have also reported the exchange of incubation duties between members of the pair. In past nesting seasons there has never been an instance of prey exchange during migration, though the male was seen bringing in fresh nest materials on one occasion. The major factor this year may be the small number of observers and recorded observations.

I hope readers get out to see if there is a change in behavior on the part of the birds during the next few days that may indicate that the first egg has hatched-- examples are both adults peering down into the nest, the brooding bird starts sitting a bit higher, and the onset of delivery of prey to the nest.

Re: Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

Steve
How long is the lens you're using to take these pictures?  Also, if you don't live in the area, where do you suggest one parks, and at one time of day would it be best to observe the eagles in your opinion?

Re: Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

Hi, Steve--

I use a Canon 300 mm L f/4 lens with a 1.4x extender, so it is a 420mm system. Just started using a monopod, which does help at the nest because it is about 150 feet away.

Although pedestrians are now permitted on the south side of the street, the best viewing is from the NORTH side of Pines Boulevard, across the street from the nest, as now the Melaleucas obstruct the views that we formerly obtained from the nearer side of the road. There is a sweet spot (depending upon if and how fast the wind is blowing) in a strip just to the west of this sign (photo below), which is at the beginning (east) end of the right turn lane lane that leads northbound on 209th Avenue. It helps to be six feet tall if the wind is not blowing, as the nest will be seen just above the top of one of the trees. From that vantage point it is just above the third wire, counting down from the top set of three wires, just to the right of a yellow "curly-Q" on the line above it. (FPL placed them to improve visibility of the lines for the eagles).

Sometimes there is a view from the grassy median near the east end along the groomed hedgerow, in the same line of sight.

Park off the pavement along the turning lane. Do not park on the south side of the road in front of the nest, or anywhere else that is posted. Do not park on 209th north of Pines Boulevard. Police will ticket illlegaly parked cars. There is a small dead end on 209th south of Pines that appears not to be posted. Otherwise, the Post Office parking lot is a block to the west, and there may be parking on the grassy swale along the south side of Pines to the east of the nest, but with recent construction some of the restrictions may have been changed.

Re: Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

Steve, I forgot to answer your question about the best time to see/photograph the eagles. My answer is any time of day. The sun moves up behind the nest, so there can be some back-lighting, but it is getting higher in the sky and is not too much of a problem later in the morning and the rest of the day into the evening. An adult will be on the nest continuously, and it will be easier to see it once the first egg hatches, after which time the other adult will start bringing in prey items.  Feeding and exchange of incubation/brooding duties may take place at any time of day.

Please report your observations as the egg may hatch on or about today (Sunday). We would like to pinpoint the hatch date.

Look for the second adult roosting nearby, either in one of the Australian Pines along the road on either side of the nest tree, in the nest tree itself, or in the dead Melaleuca trunks to the west of the wooded area. Of course, scan the sky frequently as it may soar overhead.

Re: Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

EmeraldArthur
I observed a single Bald Eagle yesterday near my apartment.  How many are estimated to live in Broward County?

Re: Adult still incubating January 13 (Day # 33)

The Pembroke Pines nest is the only active nest on the official FWC list. Here is a link to the nest locator map-- just put in the name of a city and the distance you wish to include, and the nests will pop up on the map along with a list telling when last active:

Florida FWC Eagle Nest Locator Map