Both adults at nest this morning OCT 16

Just returned to Florida and this morning visited the eagle nest to check on their welfare a month following the hurricane. Arrived at 9:45 and watched until after 10:30 AM. The nest has not seemed to have changed in structure or bulk since i last photographed it on September 14th.

Found one adult roosting on the nest support branch in front and right of nest. It was immediately joined by a second which flew in from wooded area to the west, landed in the nest and appeared to be rearranging sticks. Judging by larger head and bill with deeper gape, the roosting bird appeared to be the female and the one in the nest was the male. He remained for about 10 minutes and then disappeared while I was distracted by the presence of a Northern Parula warbler and a curious catbird. I stayed on, hoping to see if any nest material was being brought in, but the male never came back.

The nest tree is much more visible from the road, due to missing trees on all sides felled by Hurricane Irma. The roost tree just to the east was damaged but not brought down. Nearly all the Melaleuca snags to the east were brought down. The eagles will have to develop new roosting places, so keep an eye out, and also report any courtship or nest construction activities.

The fence protecting the eagle nest area is badly damaged in many places.

Northern Parula:

Gray Catbird:

Re: Both adults at nest this morning OCT 16

Sally
Welcome back Ken,

Glad to see the eagles are committed to their home.  Excellent photos.

What do you think will happen with the fence.  Hope it doesn't interfere with the season.

Re: Both adults at nest this morning OCT 16

Sally commented "What do you think will happen with the fence.  Hope it doesn't interfere with the season."

Right now the City has its hands full attacking the backlog of hurricane debris and damage, so I do not think the fence will be a priority. Downed trees and branches have distorted and flattened many sections of the fence. In the meantime, the twisted tangle of felled trees around the eagle nest will make it nearly inaccessible.

I hope the warning signs go up to deter parking along the road in front of the nest, as that has been a source of danger to drivers and eagle watchers in the past. The sidewalk in front of the nest is open and does provide a measure of safety to pedestrians. Although it is an "existing disturbance" which is technically exempt from the 330 foot prohibition (as is the roadway itself), nest watchers should not congregate there. The nest is now plainly visible from the opposite side of the eastbound lanes.