Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Trisha
Joe Motes just called from the nest and said an adult bald eagle is sitting on the nest rim facing northeast. He just has a small camera with him but took some pictures and is going to run home and get his longer lens. Wow...these birds sure are unpredictable! (I guess it's also possible that it isn't one of our pair.)

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

lisa baumbach reardon
How crazy!! maybe this is the one may friend saw in Sunset lakes on Friday night/Saturday morning -see my earlier post form yesterday-

I guess maybe the juvenile and one of the adluts left?? one stayed behind??

I guess we better start watching the nest again!!

keep us posted please!

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Linda
I'm in Grand Isle, sunset lakes, overlooking the everglades preserve  and Ive been seeing one of the juvinelles soaring what seems like hours and hours over the preserve (today even being bothered by a mockingbird).   This afternoon, probably around 3, I was sitting outside and a big splash made me look just in time to see an adult eagle come up from the water carrying a fish and heading Northeast, possibly towards the nest.   I've seen both adults and juvinelles often the past few weeks in this area.   I wasn't sure if they were the Pines eagles, but if others have reported them by sunset lakes, these are probably them as well.

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Trisha
That's amazing...wish I could have been there to see them! The eagle getting the fish must have been so cool to see!

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

lisa baumbach reardon
Linda-

Would you be willing to meet with some of us who get out there frequently- thinking of Trish and Jill and here- and showing us exactly where you have seen the eagles- it woudl be very helpful for us for documenting the story of the eagels this year, and trying to track their whereabouts! They have not been on their nest or usual places ofr the last week, yet low and behold- they have been somewhere else close by and yet appear at the nest today!

I am mystified they are still here! Might they become residents???

Thank your for your report and help -

Lisa Baumbach, Broward Audubon Society

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

lisa baumbach reardon
Trish -
Please see my reply to Linda- maybe you can meet up with her and see where she has seen the eagles???

Lisa

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Trisha
I would like to do that...my email is trishanorton@gmail.com. Carolyn and I were planning to be in the nest area on Tues and trying to spot them.

Re: Breaking news! An adult is on the nest! Sun, 14 June 09, 3:45pm

Linda
Sorry gang, I just returned from the Middle East.    I travel extensive with work and only check this site now every now and then.     So sure, if I'm here you can come over.   But just to give you an idea, although we'll have to coordinate b/c grande isle is gated..   You can still get to where I'm   talking about.     I live 195 Terrace.

If you were to take miramar parkway WEST until it deads ends.   you can park there and keep walking in past the gate as if you were still on miramar parkway.    its a dirt road then (no access to cars), walk until the canal on the left.    you'll see the houses that end and across is the everglades preserve.   you can even walk around the canal at that point.   about 1/4 mile down is where the eagle dove into the water for the fish and straight across is where the eaglettes were flying. around.

But again, if you want to coorindate something this weekend I might be able to let you in via the backyard.    I've been gone for two weeks, so I haven't hanging outside and don't know if the eagles are around.