"Brown-Tip" Sighting 12-11-09

AquaLou
Dec 11:   On a stop at the nest today, Al and I were discussing recent eagle activity and the new 'Closed Area' restrictions.  At a few minutes past 12 noon, I observed an adult eagle fly into the nest from the west.  It stayed on the nest 6-to-8 minutes, then flew off to the east.  After a few circles, it turned toward where Al and I were standing in the median.  We got a good close-up look as it flew over the road in front of us, with an clear view of it's tail with the single dark feather on the lower right bottom of it's tail.  Without landing again, it flew off high to the southwest and seemed to join two vultures circling many hundred of feet up in the thermals.

I understand the need for new restrictions to keep viewers out of harms way from the traffic.  On the other hand, I find it dissapointing that we won't be able to observe the nesting activity as closely and in the same way we all did last year.  I'm wondering if further restrictions might prohibit us from using the median as a viewing area.

Lou

Re: "Brown-Tip" Sighting 12-11-09

Mike Fossler
I share your same feelings, Lou. Quite frankly, with no designated protected viewing area, anywhere we observe from presents the same set of perils which were used to justify the "No Viewing Area."

I certainly do not want to see anyone hurt by passing cars (I felt scared out there several times myself last year!), but the "No Viewing Area" signage would be better served to warn pedestrians of the danger and to be vigilant while there. Come prime viewing season, there will be people showing up and they will most likely park and view from everywhere - which presents a nasty enforcement responsibility for the local police. MF

Re: "Brown-Tip" Sighting 12-11-09

Jill W
I feel the same way, Mike and Lou.

I'm so upset about it that I may not even make it to the nest this season.

Last year, I really enjoyed letting people see the nest up close with my spotting scope and sharing some of the facts I had learned about the eagles' behavior, timing of things, etc.  I don't feel it will be possible to do that this season because of the DOT and whatever other governmental agency or agencies who are responsible for posting the no trespassing signs on the area of optimal viewing of the nest.  And, there was NO evidence that the volunteer watchers and other viewers had any adverse effect on the behavior or success of the adults or the chicks.

Jill

Re: "Brown-Tip" Sighting 12-11-09

Jill said "...there was NO evidence that the volunteer watchers and other viewers had any adverse effect on the behavior or success of the adults or the chicks."

You are so right about that, Jill-- we never saw any evidence that human observers caused significant disturbance to the eagles. Before the nest was "discovered," the birds had already become accustomed to the noises of traffic, including motorcycles, air horns and sirens, lawn mowers and electric company linemen (much nearer to the nest than the eagle watchers), as well as gunshot reports from the shooting range,  and activities of pedestrians. The eagles actually benefited from having so many eyes on them. We discouraged trespassers and those who tried to approach too closely to the roosting birds. We noticed immediately and notified FWC when a chick was "grounded."

You and other veteran observers have provided a valuable educational service to the public. This should be an important consideration in trying to reach a solution to the problem. Of course, the issue is considerably more complicated. FDOT has legitimate concerns about the dangers of parking on the shoulder. In Florida, parking on the grassy area is generally permitted unless specifically prohibited. Having seen several "near misses," most of us eagle watchers were glad to see that parking in front of the nest was outlawed. Presently, the FWC signs request that no one should approach the nest area. (Technically, the prohibition extends to any disturbance that is nearer than existing disturbances of the same scope). FDOT also expressed intent to place signs controlling the movements of pedestrians, at least prohibiting foot traffic across Pines Boulevard at 209th Avenue.

I dare say that none of us are pleased that FDOT saw fit to post no-parking signs along the entire south side of Pines Boulevard west to US-27. We fear that people will continue to park illegally, though the signs in front of the nest now are more legible and it will be hard for a motorist to plead ignorance. Pembroke Pines prohibits ANY parking on City streets, so alternatives are strictly limited. The Post Office parking lot is unused on Sundays, and seems to be a relatively accessible place to park, but its purpose is to serve postal customers. The High School lot is full on school days and is used for driver's education on weekends. Will drastic limits on parking spaces have the desired effect of keeping people from congregating at the nest site? Time will tell.

As documented in the minutes of the meeting between the Steering Committee and FDOT officials, there is no guarantee that installation of a sidewalk in the year 2011 will include a safe viewing area-- it will be "considered" in the planning process. An elevated viewing platform would be necessary, as the proposed sidewalk will be down low and nearer to the fence in front of the nest. I am most unhappy that FDOT rejected our suggestion that pedestrians be separated from the traffic with a temporary soft barrier during the peak viewing season (March - May). It seemed reasonable to place water-filled orange barrels, connected with soft orange plastic fencing, along the side of the highway, leaving about 10-12 feet for a breakdown lane. This measure, along with temporary warning signs to motorists, might materially reduce the risk to observers.

No force on earth will keep the general public from WANTING to see the eagles. The presence of even a few observers will immediately attract the hordes that we saw, especially on weekends, last year. I have decreased the frequency and duration of my visits to the nest, not because of concern about disturbing the eagles, but only to avoid attracting a crowd. The sidewalk on the north side of Pines does provide some limited viewis of the nest, but it is impossible for more than three or four people to get a glimpse of it at one time, without moving nearer to the roadway. Photographic opportunities are very limited from that aspect.