CBS4 Coverage of Eagles today February 22

CBS4 Coverage of Eagles today February 22

The local CBS-4 evening news had a spot on the eagle nest.

Link: http://cbs4.com/local/bald.eagles.birds.2.1511896.html

Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm US/Eastern
Bald Eagles Return To Pembroke Pines
Reporting
Joan Murray

PEMBROKE PINES (CBS4) ―

For the first time in almost 40 years, bald eagles are making their home in a county famous for snowbirds. A nesting pair of bald eagles who first settled last year in Pembroke Pines returned in September. Broward County's first bald eagle pair since the 1970s produced three chicks in the past four weeks.

The eagles first built their nest last year in an Australian pine tree on an undeveloped tract of land just south of Pines Blvd. They raised two eaglets there before heading north for the hot summer months. They've been hard at work rebuilding their nest since returning to South Florida, and awed onlookers have taken notice.

"It's amazing, huge! The nest gets bigger every time," said Travis Tanner.

Pembroke Pines Mayor Frank Ortis said the eagles have made his city famous.

"When I travel people say, 'What a great thing! You have bald eagles in Pembroke Pines,'" said Ortis.

Bald eagles are the national bird of the United States of America. They're no longer on the endangered species list, but harming them is still illegal. To protect the birds, the city put up a chain link fence and erected signs warning people and dogs to stay away.

"I'm so glad they're keeping the area clear. We don't need anyone troubling them," says Jennifer Lister.

Of course, it's not discouraging folks from dropping by for a closer look. Some conservationalists are worried that onlookers are wandering into the street to get a look at the birds.

But Ortis is most concerned with what to name the eaglets. For the second straight year, school children will name the three new eaglets through a contest. Last year, they came up with "Hope" and "Justice."