Cooper City this morning 12/16 at 9:30

sascar
Today we saw 2 eagles together.  Maybe someone could tell us which one is a boy, how can you tell the difference?  I'm wondering if this is the same couple from Pembroke Pines or do we have a nest somewhere in Cooper City.  From what I'm reading here, the Pembroke Pines eagles may have an egg and it would be surprising to see them both leaving the nest like that.

Re: Cooper City this morning 12/16 at 9:30

The male eagle is smaller than the female. In the photo, the male appears to be on the right. I doubt these are the Pembroke Pines pair, as it is very likely that they have begun incubation of one or more eggs. Once this happens the eggs will always be covered by one of the pair. Of course if they actually have not yet laid an egg it could be that pair.

More likely, there is indeed a nest in the area, or the pair is scouting out a nest location. Look for signs such as carrying sticks or prey in a certain direction and try to judge the path and possibly their destination.

This is very interesting! Thanks for your excellent photos!

Re: Cooper City this morning 12/16 at 9:30

Mike Fossler
The eagle on the right looks to have speckled markings on its head? A 4 year old or so?

Re: Cooper City this morning 12/16 at 9:30

Mike Fossler
Oops - I mean the eagle on the left!

Re: Cooper City this morning 12/16 at 9:30

Yes, Mike-- the subsequent closeup does reveal that the female is probably late in fourth year. Tail tips are dark.