Critical time for eaglet-- please report observations

Critical time for eaglet-- please report observations

Our eaglets have fledged at around  10 weeks of age, about the same age as this one. It has been flapping and getting ready to leave the nest. Risk of mortality is very high at this time, as the inexperienced bird can suffer injury. No one has reported it climbing out on branches ("branching") or "helicoptering" as yet, which usually precedes the first flight by a few days. However there have not been any recent reports. Even brief stops at the nest to check on the eaglet's welfare will be important. Please notify us here with a post or e-mail me < ken@rosyfinch.com >  if there is suspicion that the young bird may become grounded under the nest.

Re: Critical time for eaglet-- please report observations

Stef
If I were not 30 miles away, I'd stop by every day!  I hope those who live closer will check in!