DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

I arrived at the nest site around 5:00 PM and found Desiree and Jose there. They had been waiting for over an hour and had not seen any eagles. It was getting dark and we were about to leave. Desiree had already carried her camera to her car across the street when at about 5:50 PM both Pride and the new female suddenly flew in from the WSW. They flew in front of the nest and both settled briefly on the dead roost tree along the road to the east.

Then both flew up and circles the nest tree. Pride flew towards the melaleuca snags to the west and the female flew to the SE, perhaps to roost deeper in the "eagle forest." nearer to SW 208th Avenue. This photo was taken at 6:00 PM.

We left the site about 6:15 PM PM when it was very dark. It was too dark to get decent photos but they do document that this was the new female. We can speculate that they were spending the day together as they appeared at the same time. It seems to indicate that Pride is bonding with the new female but their absence from the nest during the daytime may mean that breeding is not imminent and maybe will not occur this season.

Re: DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

More photos from the nest last night.  They were taken between 5:52 and 5:55 PM, about 25 minutes after sunset, flash-assisted. The bare tree to the east that they landed in was about 158 yards (144 meters) away. Although they are of poor quality they impart the sense of form and motion as the male eagle (Pride) suddenly flew in with his new companion. They also show that the female's bill is proportionately larger than that of Joy, Pride's first mate, and her forehead slopes almost in line with the top of her bill.

The female (if she stays we will need to give her a name (Newfe? no!  ) coming in:

Pride came in just ahead of the female:

She perched higher in the little tree.

Another shot of the two together briefly on the tree before going to roost, probably for the night:

Re: DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

johnnye
Can we be sure this is the same female? The tail feathers seems so much darker. Also, I have been thinking of names and wonder what everyone thinks of Mary, as in Proud Mary. Trying to think of something that goes with Pride.

Re: DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

Lisa G
We will have a naming contest on Pride Facebook page when we are sure this Female will stay around .. It is a little early to put a permanent name on her yet . If she is still around after the Holidays we will have the contest then . Just like we did when we named Pride & Joy :) The First week of January we will have the contest on Pride Facebook page ..
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

johnnye said: "Can we be sure this is the same female? The tail feathers seems so much darker."

Yes they do, but these pictures were taken at a distance in near total darkness. The effects of poor light, reflection of the flash and then my own post-processing may have failed to produce true colors. The pattern of dark and light on her head and tail is the same, but the white parts of those feathers look much darker than earlier photos taken in good light.

The night photo shows more white spots on the body and conspicuous white "armpits" more characteristic of a younger bird, but her head is about what should be expected of a four year old ("5th Year") Bald Eagle. Head and bill shape looks very much like what we have seen before. However, good light and more observations will help us feel secure.

Re: DEC 14 Both eagles arrived at nest at 5:50 PM

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Her own name will be great!

She came to the nest around the holidays and is just the gift Pride
needed.  Holly, short for the holidays or Present sounded good with Pride,
and her arrival was not only Pride's present this holiday but a nice
birthday present for you too.

Just some ideas to go with Proud Mary.

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313

johnnye
I dont fb. Guess I'll have someone do it for me.