DEC 21 Pair exchanges incubation duties (Photo sequence)

DEC 21 Pair exchanges incubation duties (Photo sequence)

We arrived at the eagle nest just before 9:00 AM this morning. It was a cool 65 (F) and there was a steady wind in from the north, behind me.  The female was incubating deep in the nest, the top of her head barely visible.

Only about a minute later she started calling and the male flew in from behind the nest area and took a roost in a tree a short distance to the west (right) of the nest.

They called to each other for a moment, then the male launched up and into the wind, passing in front of the nest, disappeared briefly behind the nest, then landed on the nest into the wind.

The pair exchanged incubation duties, and the female promptly flew into the Melalaeuca snags to the west of the nest area.

There, she preened for a while and was still there when we departed about 20 minutes later.

The male is noticeabley smaller and slimmer, and his forehead is almost in line with the ridge (culmen) of his bill.

The female has more of an angle between the culmen and her forehead.

Re: DEC 21 Pair exchanges incubation duties (Photo sequence)

Jill W
Thanks for the fantastic (as usual) pictures and descriptions of what happened with the eagle couple, Ken!

Hopefully, the couple (and we) will have a great season this year.

I hope to get out there soon.
Jill

Re: DEC 21 Pair exchanges incubation duties (Photo sequence)

Jill W
The description and pictures of the male vs. female were very helpful!

I'm also watching a couple in Melbourne, FL.  Saw both of them today.  If I get any interesting pictures, I will post them on the near and far section of the Forum.

Jill