DEC 22: Immature joined pair at nest; male in Melaleucas DEC 23

DEC 22: Immature joined pair at nest; male in Melaleucas DEC 23

This morning (DEC 23) I arrived at the nest around 7:50 AM and Luis had already been there for about 45 minutes. At 7:20 he photographed the male (Pride) roosting alone in the Melaleuca snags west of the nest.

Luis reported some interesting observations from the previous day (DEC 22). Around 8:30 AM, I believe he said, both Pride and the new female fly together back and forth between the nest area and US 27. Pride was roosting near the nest when a third eagle arrived. Luis said it was a dark immature but showed some white on its head. The young bird proceeded to land on the nest and began arranging sticks while Pride stood by watching! I'm not sure where the new female was at this point.

Not sure what this means, but normally an adult would not let a visiting immature bird enter or tamper with the nest, as far as we have observed over the 8 years we have been following events at this nest. I'll hazard a guess that the breeding instinct is fading. However, Luis said that the pair did interact in flight, at one point flying towards each other and almost touching talons.

Re: DEC 22: Immature joined pair at nest; male in Melaleucas DEC 23

Lisa G
I have seen other Eagles do this at other nest . If this is Pride offspring and there are no eggs and Pride is not mating with the Female then there is no reason for Pride to Get upset with the young one visiting . I really don't think they are going to Mate this season . They need to get to know one another more and she may not be ready to mate . She may still be to young to mate . But Time will tell . I would like to see them mate this season Fingers and Toes still crossed :) :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net