DEC 3 - Incubation underway

For most of the next month, one might think that observing the nest is like watching the grass grow, but there are opportunities to add to our knowledge of the behavior of this pair. Please try to drop by if only to make spot observations to report on the welfare of the eagles.

Since the nest has grown larger, it is more difficult to see the incubating bird, so be patient look for the bird to extend her neck or show the top of a white head to confirm that the nest is occupied. Look to see if the non-incubating adult is standing watch nearby. It is likely that the mate will at least return to the nest tree or an adjacent one to roost overnight, so evening and early morning reports will be useful.

All the eggs have probably been deposited, so the birds should begin to share incubation duties. Look for such exchanges. They can be fun to watch, as sometimes the incubating bird appears reluctant to give up the job and there may even be what looks like a squabble. It's more likely just an eagle body language "conversation."

We stopped by just before the rains came yesterday morning about 8:30 and did confirm that incubation is continuing. Look carefully to see a bit of white head and yellow beak visible through the nest materials just left of the main trunk.

There were other interesting things to watch. A pair of immature White Ibises roosted on the power distribution pole just west of the nest. Notice the protective insulation that FPL installed to minimize the electrocution risk to raptors and other large birds.

An adult White Ibis roosted on one of the Melaleuca snags to the west of the nest.

A Red-shouldered Hawk shared another dead trunk. Photographic conditions were bad, so my shots of a Belted Kingfisher and over-flying Wood Storks were not at all satisfactory.