Eagle Attacked by Mocking Bird

AquaLou
Saturday, May 2nd, 6:45 pm
It was an evening to remember!  On arrival, the nest was empty.  One adult was perched deep in the maleleuca graveyard.  At 7:15 pm, Hope and Justice flew to the nest.  Hope perched 5 feet above and to the left, while Justice stood in the nest.  A few minutes later, an adult flew into the nest but only stayed about 30 seconds.  Nothing was brought in for the youngsters to eat.

Then, at 7:20 pm, Hope launched and flew to the new roosting tree due east (40 or 50 yards).  She was immediately attacked by a single Mocking Bird.  The assault was unrelenting.  Shortly, a second mocker joined in, along with 4 or 5 Grackles.  While at first not being too concerned with the single mocker, later in the video she was very disturbed when the smaller birds ganged up on her.

Check it out on YouTube, (Eagle Attack in Pembroke Pines) at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm0EZKOEs1g

Lou

Re: Eagle Attacked by Mocking Bird

Great action, Lou! I feel as if I'm still in Florida instead of Illinois. I have embedded your video on the "Eagle Watching" page

A pair of Bald Eagles was sighted along the Fox River just before we arrived to bird in a riverside park. We didn't see them!

I did blog about my bird sightings which included a photo of a Bay-breasted Warbler at

http://blog.rosyfinch.com

It finally warmed up to 75 degrees today!

Ken

Here is a Cedar Waxwing we saw yesterday:

<http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html>

A pair of Bald Eagles was sighted along the Fox River just before we
arrived to bird in a riverside park. We didn't see them!

I did blog about my bird sightings which included a neat photo of a
Bay-breasted Warbler at

http://blog.rosyfinch.com

Finally warmed up to 75 degrees today!

Ken

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Rosy Finch Web Site: <http://www.rosyfinch.com>
Ken's Blog: <http://blog.rosyfinch.com>
Ken's Photos: <http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>

CedarWaxwing20090502.jpg (188K) Download Attachment