Eagle at nest 2/8/15 3:00pm to 5:30pm

JLD_photography
One Eagle was at the nest 3:05pm and the other(I guess the female) comes 5 minutes later, they stay at the nest for 45 minutes and fly the Miramar area, they come back at 5:00pm stay 20 minutes and fly again behind the nest. Luis told me He saw the Eagles in the morning 7:00am to 10:00 and He saw they were mating

Re: Eagle at nest 2/8/15 3:00pm to 5:30pm

NancyB
Beautiful Photos!

Re: Eagle at nest 2/8/15 3:00pm to 5:30pm

Nice photos, Jose! The female is on the left. "Newfie" has a recognizable transition between the white on top of her head and somewhat more ruffled "collar" halfway down her neck. The eagle on the right has a pure white tail. Newfie still has some dark tips on her tail feathers.

Re: Eagle at nest 2/8/15 3:00pm to 5:30pm

Linda954
With all this copulation, is there a remote possibility we will have eggs after all.    I know Newfie is young and inexperienced, but could it be?????????????

Re: Eagle at nest 2/8/15 3:00pm to 5:30pm

Linda, I have my doubts about this pair breeding this season. The optimal time for laying eggs and successfully raising a family has passed. The female seems not to act "broody" at all. Normally, based upon our observations over the years, we would expect her, once she is carrying a fertilized egg, to spend much time in and on the nest for several days before the egg is laid.

The timing of the breeding season must be embedded in their genes. They must get their young flying out and about before the worst heat of the summer, as fish are harder to catch the warmer the water gets. Then the young must be old enough to migrate north for cooler water before the end of June.

Young and inexperienced birds of many species are know to have difficulty with their first clutch of eggs.

They are now two months behind schedule. I could be wrong, of course, as there is the potential for variability in all natural creatures.