Eagle in Davie?

Georgia M
I was driving north on Davie Road Extension just north of Orange Drive at 8:15 am yesterday when I saw a very large bird with a white head flying west.  The rest of the body was brown but I could not determine the color of the tail before he was out of sight.  (Don't bird and drive!!).  I looked through my bird books to see if any other large bird has a white head and dark body with no luck.  Does anyone know of any other bird fitting that description?  If the tail was brown, could it have been a 3rd year eagle?
Georgia

Re: Eagle in Davie?

Hi, Georgia--

It is certainly possible that you saw a Bald Eagle. You may be familiar with the Osprey, that does have white on its head but is also white underneath.

Bald Eagles do not get fully white head and tails until they are about five years old. Non-breeding birds may wander widely. There are no other active nests in Broward County, according to the Florida FWC "Eagle Nest Locator" map, which may be accessed at this link

Aside from the Pembroke Pines nest, the nearest active nest to Davie would be up west of Delray Beach in Palm Beach County.

Re: Eagle in Davie?

Georgia M

 I guess we'll never know for sure if it was an osprey or eagle.  I made a mental note that the entire body was brown, but it's possible that I missed the white underside because he was flying from right to left.  The frustrations of birding!

It is certainly possible that you saw a Bald Eagle. You may be familiar with the Osprey, that does have white on its head but is also white underneath.

Bald Eagles do not get fully white head and tails until they are about five years old. Non-breeding birds may wander widely. There are no other active nests in Broward County, according to the Florida FWC "Eagle Nest Locator" map, which may be accessed at this link

Aside from the Pembroke Pines nest, the nearest active nest to Davie would be up west of Delray Beach in Palm Beach County.
Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Eagle-in-Davie-tp7317759p7318050.html
To start a new topic under Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML

Georgia

Re: Eagle in Davie? -> west of Delray Beach

Lades
Could you be more specific about the location of that nest west of Delray Beach?

Thanks

Re: Eagle in Davie?

Hi, Georgia--

The map at the link above shows this:

Nest ID # PB021 Palm Beach County -- Reported Active in 2011 (no current report)

Latitude: 26 23.99 Longitude: 80 13.77

Enlarge the map to see its exact location. It appears to be in the undeveloped tract of land just west of the residential area off Yamato Road (where it intersects with Coral Ridge Drive). Yamato Road runs west off US 441. My guess is that it may not be accessible or even visible without trespassing on private land or trekking across the wild land. It also appears to be surrounded by canals.