Eagle in nest 2/2/2016

Maria Rosa Drake
I saw an eagle in the nest at 6:55am as I drove West.

Re: Eagle in nest 2/2/2016

Thanks, Maria Rosa-- we can expect to see the adults at the nest and possibly working to repair and maintain it. Last season, despite the fact that they did not breed, Pride and Jewel visited the nest together several times into early May.

Everyone, let's please keep watch on the nest. The last documented feeding of an eaglet was on January 19th. By now any eaglets would be growing fast and requiring frequent feedings. I have not been lucky enough to even see the adults at the nest, although I did have that interesting encounter last week in the wetlands of west Miramar.

A second clutch of eggs is very rare with eagles, although they have been known to lay again if the eggs are destroyed only a few days after they are deposited. I think the windstorm and the branch that fell on the nest only a day or two after the first eaglet hatched are responsible.