Eagle vs. mockingbirds...

Trisha
Yesterday morning one of the adults was peacefully sitting in its usual spot to the left of the nest in the tall pines along the wires. All of a sudden there was a huge racket.....the adult was really vocalizing, which got the young in the nest going also. As I focused on the adult with my binoculars it seemed to be grabbing at something with its feet and flapping its wings. I saw 2 birds, later identified to be mockingbirds, that were attacking the eagle from all sides.

The eagle became totally annoyed with the tag team effort....the mockingbirds were also really loud as they kept flying at the eagle. And......the winners were the mockingbirds, as the eagle flew off the limb and flew by the front of the nest, making 2 large circles as it picked its way through the woods. The whole time the adult and the juveniles in the nest were calling back and forth. The show ended when the adult flew out of the nest area and headed southeast. (They were either really brave, or completely clueless mockingbirds, I'm not sure which)

Re: Eagle vs. mockingbirds...

Jill W
LOL, that must have been very fun to watch!  You said you got some good shots yesterday morning.  Are you going to share some with us?
Jill

Re: Eagle vs. mockingbirds...

Kathy
yeah Trish I would love to see your pics!!!  Sure wish that I could be there to see all this, but I have to work :(  !

I really enjoy seeing the pictures that others have taken and hearing the stories!!!  It is great for those of us who cannot be there!!

Thank You all!!!!
live your life don't watch it go by . . .

Re: Eagle vs. mockingbirds...

Terri
I have seen this same thing before with mockingbirds attacking a hawk.  When I had watched this, it seemed to be that the hawk was used to it.  He basically looked at them like they were nuts, and just sat there letting them dive bomb him and grab at his feathers.  And yes, eventually the hawk did fly away.