FEB 26: No eagles seen 12:30- 1:00 PM

I watched the nest and there is no sign of an eagle, and did not see them in the vicinity. Their frequent absence from the nest area and the fact that both roost together indicates that if any eggs were laid they are not being tended.

Re: FEB 26: No eagles seen 12:30- 1:00 PM

Jill W

Oh, no!  That's a shame.  If they don't have any eggs to tend to together, is it likely they will stay together as a couple next season and try again or find new mates during the time they are away?  Maybe since they roost together, they may stay together?

Jill

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

Re: FEB 26: No eagles seen 12:30- 1:00 PM

Yes, Jill, I would expect and certainly hope that the pair has bonded sufficiently to come together next breeding season. My theory is that the female needed more time to bond or is simply too young to have a strong breeding instinct. They had at least two sessions of apparently successful copulation and maybe she was fertile and dumped her eggs without knowing to brood them. Only a theory, but it seems way too late for a pair to start breeding anyway.

Re: FEB 26: No eagles seen 12:30- 1:00 PM

Phil Martin sent this photo, used with his permission.

Ken,
I last saw both on Thursday morning (Feb 26)  around 07:00. It was very foggy.
Phil