FEB 6: First egg may have hatched this weekend

FEB 6: First egg may have hatched this weekend

Mary Lou and I visited the nest just after 9:00 AM and found Jewel was sitting quite high in the nest. Pride was roosting nearby in the pine to the east of the nest tree.

Jewel often looked down into the nest and was probably tending to a newly hatched eaglet. She continued to sit very high so that we could always see her head and neck and often the top of her back.

Ground observations strongly suggested that incubation had commenced around New Years weekend. Since that was 5 weeks (35) days ago it coincides with the normal Bald Eagle incubation period.

Pride stared at us quite intently even though we were a safe distance away. This attentiveness may also be a sign that an egg has hatched.