February 15 - hatch day 31 -- only one eaglet

February 15 - hatch day 31 -- only one eaglet

I think we can be quite sure that there is only one eaglet this year. She was peeking at me over the nest rim this morning. Adults were nowhere in sight during our brief watch between 8:30 and 9:00 AM.

Say hello to "P. Piney Nine," the ninth known eaglet to hatch at this nest over the 5 breeding seasons since the nest was discovered,

We visited Chapel Trail Nature Preserve, where we saw a Limpkin. It flew across the boardwalk right in front of us.

This Red-shouldered Hawk spread its wings for us.

Re: February 15 - hatch day 31 -- only one eaglet

Trisha
Interesting to have 3 eaglets last year and only one this year. After reading that some experts feel that the urban nesting locations will not sustain the eagle families over time.....this may be a good number.  With the offspring returning to the vicinity of their nest to make their own new nests, they feel that territorial fighting and/or lack of food supply could occur.

Great shot Ken.....welcome P Piney Nine!