February 18

hall48
I stopped by the nest around 1:30 PM today and stayed for about an hour. One adult stayed perched directly above the nest the the whole time I was there. THe chick moved back and forth several times from one side of the nest to the other. The adult perched above the nest seemed temporarly intersted in a Pileated woodpecker that flew in from the SouthWest, but soon ignored it.

Eagle Chick on Nest

Eagle Chick on Nest2

Eagle Chick on Nest3

Male Pileated Woodpecker

David

Re: February 18

Thanks, David! Very nice images!

I hope that there will be a few more people watching the nest, now that the eaglet is more visible. I can't get over there all the time, and it is good to know that they are doing well.

There have been other reports of Pileated Woodpeckers near the eagle nest in the past. I did see one at the West Pines Soccer Park and Nature Preserve (south of 196th Street at Pines Boulevard, only about a mile away.