February 27 - two eaglets in nest (PHOTO)

February 27 - two eaglets in nest (PHOTO)

The area in front of the nest, along the south side of Pines Boulevard, is now posted. Observers are limited to the grassy median or the north side of the road.

The female was roosting in the tree to the east of the nest. The male was not seen while we or two other watchers were on site, for about a half hour around 9:30 AM.

The older chick is about 43 days old today. In the past two seasons, the eaglets fledged at about 80 days of age. They usually began branching about 7-10 days before taking their first flights. We may expect these two to fledge around mid-April and to continue returning to the nest to be fed for 35 to 55 more days (through the month of May). Views of the nest were fleeting, due to moderate wind that frequently blew melaleucas in front of the nest.

Re: February 27 - two eaglets in nest

Jill W

Great pictures, Ken!!  Those chicks look pretty healthy.  I hope they don't scare us like the chicks in the past.

Thanks for sharing.

Jill