Fence in front of PP eagle nest BO-02 has been cut

Fence in front of PP eagle nest BO-02 has been cut

Yesterday, Phil reported that the fence was down in front of the PP nest. He said he reported it to City Public Works Department.

I went out this morning and took this photo, which shows that the fence was cleanly cut next to the post with the warning sign on the right. A few weeks ago an observer mentioned that more vegetation appeared to have been removed near the fence in recent months.

FPL did need to enter the area during installation of the new power pole back in late September, 2014, but as I remember, they finished the work before the last breeding season began on October 1. I am quite certain that the fence was intact after that.

We will need to follow up with the City to assure that the eagles are not disturbed during this critical time. So far Jewel has been working on the nest but has not been reported as remaining on the nest for any extended period of time. We don't know where she was raised and as a novice breeder she may be more susceptible to disturbance. Please report any signs such as copulation and broodiness.

Repair of the fence should be done with manual equipment and minimal activity. The fence is a temporary one donated by a private party. The City approved the use of the fence but I am not sure whether the City participated in its installation. We should learn who might take responsibility for fixing it.

Re: Fence in front of PP eagle nest BO-02 has been cut

We learned from a reliable source with the City of Pembroke Pines that FPL requires access to the equipment around the power pole. The City cut the fence for them and will be installing a gate for that purpose.  I am confident that the gate will be secured with a lock.

Re: Fence in front of PP eagle nest BO-02 has been cut

Lisa G
Great News :) Thanks Ken , I was goign to call you about this . I have pictures from the last time I was at the nest . I took pictures of the signs becasue they are all covered up by the trees and that fence was not down at that time or I would have called the city . They really need to clean around all the signs so people can see them .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: Fence in front of PP eagle nest BO-02 has been cut

Good news-- the City has closed the breach in the fence in front of the nest and installed a gate to permit FPL to access their equipment if necessary. Traffic cones will be placed to deter parking and pedestrians on the south side of Pines Boulevard between SW 2098 & 209 Avenues. Please respect these restrictions.