Form to record nest observations

Barbara Walker sent us a copy of the form that is used by eagle watch volunteers in Pinellas County to record information about sightings.  Note that you can type directly on the form in your computer, then save it as a PDF file, using a different file name (I suggest a filename that includes the location, date and time of observation, such as PPines-20091105-0905AM.pdf. It may then be e-mailed directly to Lynda White as an attachment.

We might consider using this form and forwarding it to Lynda White, Florida Audubon Eagle Watch Coordinator.

Lynda's e-mail address is <a href="http://mailto: lwhite@audubon.org">lwhite@audubon.org

The form is available <a href="http://rosyfinch.com/Nest Site Visit Form.pdf">here as a PDF document.

Thanks to Ed Tess for creating the electronic pdf version of this form.  I don't know how he did it, it's magic to me!   A version of this was in the booklet that Lynda [White] handed out at the end of September.  The electronic form has all the information that Lynda needs on it.  You can save as to keep historical data on the nests you watch in a folder on your computer.  If you watch in Pinellas County, Pasco County or Hillsborough County and you want to copy me on the form you send in to Lynda I'd really appreciate it.   I keep countywide spreadsheets so we have good regional data to draw from if needed.  If you are on this list in another county please feel free to use the form if it will help you out.

Thanks,

Barb Walker
Palm Harbor, FL

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

I just updated the Eagle Milestone spreadsheet, which summarizes selected observations that have been recorded in this FORUM.

Authors of observations already entered here might wish to test the new reporting form. Fill it out with your (retroactive) observations from the present breeding season, save to your disk and e-mail to Lynda White per the above post.

Note that there is space for two separate observation periods on each page.

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

Jill W
It looks a little complicated to me  I've only read pdf files, and never have created one or modified one and saved it.  But, maybe it will be very easy.

Perhaps, if an eagle nest observer posts on the FORUM and states that he/she can't figure out how to do the pdf form, someone else here can do the form for them?

I have not been able to get to the nest area this season.  I've been away a lot last month and have to go away again from Nov. 22 to Dec. 5th.  I hope to get to the nest area before I leave.

Jill

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

Hi, Jill--

The form is actually very easy to use. You click on the link to the form here and it opens as a PDF with data fields into which you type information and check boxes.

When you finish (it will accept either one or two sets of observations), save it, or just exit and it will ask you if you wish to save it. Select a folder in your computer (I made a special called "Eagle Nest Observations") and give it a unique file name-- it could be just the date (e.g., 20091111-9AM.pdf) and save it. You can then e-mail it to <a href=mailto:lwhite@audubon.org/">Lynda White directly , or to the e-mail address at the top of the form, as an attachment, just as you might do with a photo).

Try it out, using your observations from the last time you visited the nest, (or make a dummy report to mail to yourself as a test) and see how easy it really is.

To save a step, I saved the blank form in the same folder on my computer. You can then work with it directly, but be sure that you change the file name when you go to save your report. Otherwise you will overwrite your form and will need to copy a new one from the above link.

Good luck!

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

I should have added that the FWC # for the Pembroke Pines nest is BO-002. I pre-filled my "master" copy with this number, along with Broward County,  the Nesting Season (2009-2010) and my name and telephone number. That way, every time I make a new report, that information is already on it.

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

Mrs. Smith's Classes
I am hoping that observers will consider using the form that my students have created.  We have added several features, including interactions with powerlines (requested by Brian Mealey), recording the number of people that are present during the observations, and what prey items are being brought in to the nest.  I am in the process of selecting the best of the student submitted forms, and will then send them on to Brian, Ken and Lynda, to help with the final selection.  Our form is fashioned after the Eagle Watch form, and was forwarded on to Lynda last year.  We were hoping to have the help of the community in collecting data for us, so we would have more data to analyze in the spring.  I am hoping to have the kids involved in as many ways as possible, especially since it appears that making observations this year may be difficult.

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

A suggestion to be pondered.

Once we obtain a copy of the form that is being used by the students, perhaps we can ask Barbara Walker whether her contact person (Ed Tess) might produce an "electronic" version that we all all can use and forward to both Kelly Smith and Lynda White as well. Indeed, anyone who has the full Adobe Acrobat program ($$$) can create such a form. To create a form, you need Acrobat Professional or Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

This Web site has some information about forms. This video tutorial provides some idea of the possibilities. The eagle watching form would not need to be very complex-- paper copies could be completed in the field and the observers could also enter the data into the "electronic" form and send as e-mail attachments.

Is the students' form already available? If so, it could be created in Adobe on a single page format. Since it contains all the data points used by Lynda, it should serve the same purpose as the Pinellas form. I'm sure that it does not have to provide more than one set of observations per page, so the extra Middle School data should be easily accommodated.

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

Sorry-- the direct link to the tutorial video clip about creating the electronic forms should be here: http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=37608

RE: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

barbibird

I'm sure Ed will be happy to make a form for us.

Barb

[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

This email was sent by barbibird (via Nabble)
Your replies will appear at http://n2.nabble.com/Form-to-record-nest-observations-tp3953845p3994001.html
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: Electronic Form for recording nest observations

Hi, Barb--

The Middle School students have produced three drafts and will soon
settle on a final format-- it will include addition information such as
number of people in nest area and position of birds relative to power
lines. We hope that the cadre of non-student observers will be able to
contribute information for the study.

As soon as the final product is available, I can provide it to you.

Thanks so much!

Ken

FYI, I am keeping a spreadsheet of nest observations
<http://www.rosyfinch.com/EagleMilestonesSheet.pdf>. We were surprised
at how early the pair arrived this fall-- together in territory since
last September. They have added quite a bit to the nest. We are hoping
to get a nest camera installed by next season, but it appears to be
quite a formidable (and expensive) undertaking!

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Local Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Sandia Crest Birding Forum: http://rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)