Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

Mary Lou and I arrived at the nest a little after 9:00 AM, parking on the grass next to the turning lane unto 209th Avenue. We found the female incubating deep in the nest. Landscapers were performing maintenance and were parked in front ot the nest, so I photographed the nest from the median. At times she was entirely hidden from view, but usually the top of her head could be seen to the left side of the nest. A couple of times she raised her head.

The male was nowhere in sight, and it was a bit like watching the grass grow, so I crossed back to the north side of the road to pack away my camera. At 9:27 AM the male suddenly flew in from the right (west) carrying a white bird. He appeared to pick at it briefly, but my photos only show him rearranging nest lining material. (Unfortunately, a bus stopped right in front of us and the driver kindly informed us that if we came back around between 12 noon and 1:00 PM it would be a better time to see the eagles, so I missed his landing).

The female stayed low for a minute or so, then stood up and walked to the left rim of the nest, preparing to fly off.

At 9:29 she departed and disappeared to the left rear (SE) side of the nest tree.

The male then took up incubation duties.

RE: Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

tomsease
My wife & I were out riding our bikes this afternoon up here in Vero Beach & I saw a bird that was new to me. I couldn't get a better picture of it because I was pretty far away & I only had my little p&s camera, but it was almost as big as an eagle.  It was behind the Sandhill crane in the 2nd picture.  I was looking through my identification book & the only thing that I can find that might match it is a crested caracara because of the orangish facial skin & the striped tail feathers.  Have you seen anything like that before?

Tom Sease

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:55:36 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

Mary Lou and I arrived at the nest a little after 9:00 AM, parking on the grass next to the turning lane unto 209th Avenue. We found the female incubating deep in the nest. Landscapers were performing maintenance and were parked in front ot the nest, so I photographed the nest from the median. At times she was entirely hidden from view, but usually the top of her head could be seen to the left side of the nest. A couple of times she raised her head.

The male was nowhere in sight, and it was a bit like watching the grass grow, so I crossed back to the north side of the road to pack away my camera. At 9:27 AM the male suddenly flew in from the right (west) carrying a white bird. He appeared to pick at it briefly, but my photos only show him rearranging nest lining material. (Unfortunately, a bus stopped right in front of us and the driver kindly informed us that if we came back around 10:30 it would be a better time to see the eagles, so I missed his landing).

The female stayed low for a minute or so, then stood up and walked to the left rim of the nest, preparing to fly off.

At 9:29 she departed and disappeared to the left rear (SE) side of the nest tree.

The male then took up incubation duties.

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2013-2014 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

RE: Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

MyEagle13
Well Good Morning Tom i was looking at your picture for me looks like a bald eagle even has the tail on the botton is white maybe the dark shadow on the head is something else maybe is a young bald eagle and his back feather stay with some white feather is possible the fort myers male eagle has some white spot on the back and the female also has a black spot on the tale that can be seen only when she has the feathers open beside that the only bird that looks almost exactly like a bald eagle but with black feather on the tale is the The African Fish Eagle is the national bird of Zambia and i really dont think that from so far away it could be that bird but anyway your pic was awsome seen it eating on the grass i love it!!!!!!
Myeagle13

Re: Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

tomsease
Thanks.  I'll go back to that area again with a better camera to see if I can get a more definitive picture.  I was really surprised to see a bird that looked to be eagle-sized hanging out with the Sandhill Cranes & politely waiting to be fed by a homeowner.  I love finding birds I haven't seen before (I'm still new at this so I'm always seeing something I never noticed before).  There seems to be a great deal of diversity in the bird population here in Vero.

Tom Sease

[...]

Hi, Tom--

Your bird is a Crested Caracara (also called Mexican Eagle). They often hang with vultures as they too are carrion eaters. Nice find!

Re: Friday DEC 13-- 9:30 AM Exchange of incubation duties

tomsease
Thanks.  That's what it looked like to me too (I just got a NatGeo Illustrated Birds book to help me id all these birds I'm seeing).  I'll try to get a better picture later today.

Tom Sease