Friday, January 27-- all is quiet at nest; harrier and crows seen

Friday, January 27-- all is quiet at nest; harrier and crows seen

On Friday morning (January 27) the female was quiet on the nest and there was no sign of the male as we watched for about 3/4 hour from 9:30 to 10:15 AM. The oldest chick is now about 12 days old.

Of interest, a male Northern Harrier flew over the nest area. Mature males, which are gray and white with black wingtips, are outnumbered 8 or 12 to 1 by the larger brown females and immature birds, so it is a treat to see one.

A flock of Fish Crows chased the colony of Monk Parakeets away from their nest on the high pole. I thought they were looking for eggs or young birds to eat, but instead they stole twigs, presumably to use on their own nests. Fish Crows can be predators on the very young eaglets.