Friday, March 2 -- Photos from Trisha

The oldest chick is 10 weeks old today. Last year both chicks left the nest almost exactly on the day they were 11 weeks old. Trisha had trouble posting these and asked me to copy them from her FLICKR photostream. These are the comments that accompanied the photos taken this morning:

The adults have done another great job of raising their young this nest season and the eaglets all appear healthy and strong and almost ready to fledge. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but the area for viewing was moved back this year, which has made it safer for the eagles as well as for the public.

If you look closely, you can see all 3. The one on the left is behind the branch with only the beak showing well. Since they are now so large and the trees have grown up around the nest, it's hard to see all 3. Shots are also made more difficult with the wind blowing the foreground branches and the fact that the "watch area" has been moved back this year. An amazing sight none the less!

I think this is probably the youngest, and smallest eaglet watching its older and larger sibling as it practices flying back and forth across the nest. Based on what I saw today....the first flight will be soon!