Friday October 26 Johnnye J's report of 2 eagles possibly at nest site

Friday October 26 Johnnye J's report of 2 eagles possibly at nest site

On October 26 Johnnye J wrote:

Well, I hope I did not speak too soon.  It was raining lightly when I saw the 2 birds and there was a lot of glare.  One bird was smaller than the other so I assumed it was the male, but did not get a clear look at it.  I was driving by and the one closer to the road was an eagle.  They were only a couple (sticks) trees apart and at almost the same level high.  Would another large bird roost so close to an adult eagle if not another eagle?  No one has seen the two of them together yet so I am questioning what I saw.

I presume that the 2 birds were roosting peacefully next to each other on the Melaleuca snags just west of the nest site. If so, and they were large raptors it is very likely that they were the eagle pair. The eagles generally will not tolerate the presence of another raptor or even a vulture or crow in such close proximity in their territory.

Thanks for the report, and let's all keep a close watch out for any signs that they may be refurbishing the nest or engaging in courtship.