Honor actually fledged on April 3 (photos of Glory)

Honor actually fledged on April 3 (photos of Glory)

Our friend Kathy, who checks on the eagle nest on her way home from work almost every afternoon, saw both eaglets on the nest on April 2, but yesterday found only one. This morning (April 4) around 9:00 AM we found the younger eaglet (Glory) alone on the nest. Glory is the 13th eaglet known to have hatched since 2008. Her older sister (Honor) was not in sight, and neither was any adult while we watched for about an hour. Honor was 82 days old when she left the nest. We expect her to return to the nest within a day or so, driven by hunger. The adults will continue to bring prey to the nest and eat it there themselves, enticing the eaglet to return for food.

Bald Eaglet Glory alone on nest 20140404

Bald Eaglet Glory alone on nest 2-20140404

Bald Eaglet Glory alone on nest 3-20140404

Bald Eaglet Glory alone on nest 4-20140404

Bald Eaglet Glory alone on nest 5-20140404

Last year, P Piney 10, the single surviving eaglet, took her first flight on March 26th at 86 days of age. In past seasons the eaglets fledged at 68 to 91 days of age.(average 79.75 days, median 79 days, N=8 ).  In 2012, P Piney 9 was believed not to be prepared for flight when he/she disappeared at a presumed age of about 65 days and was never relocated; P Piney 1 was already flying free when discovered on March 15, 2008. P Pomey 11 is believed to have expired in the nest at about 2-3 weeks of age.

Re: Honor actually fledged on April 3 (photos of Glory)

Lisa G
Both Pride & Joy are at the nest right now with the other Eaglet :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net