I am concerned- no confirmation of eaglet sighting

I am concerned- no confirmation of eaglet sighting

I visited the nest this afternoon around 3:00 - 3:45 and only saw the male, perched just above and to the right of the nest, barely visible throught the branches. I scrutinized the surrounding trees from several perspectives and saw no sign of the eaglet or other adult. The March 29th sighting was never confirmed by photos, and photos were not forthcoming. Even a bad shot could confirm the identity of the eaglet.

It was described as flying over the nest and with the sun behind it. There have been many vultures flying around the nest and under the poor lighting conditions as described it would be reassuring if we had evidence that the bird was correctly identified. Please post any photos of the eaglet, no matter what the quality so that we can be sure.

Here are my two "best" shots of the male at the nest.

Re: I am concerned- no confirmation of eaglet sighting

trisha
As am I Ken....sure hope we get a picture to confirm. I won't be able to get back to the nest til Fri....but will try to stay in touch....hoping for good news.  I put up one of the images of the adult I took on Sat on Flickr.  Feel free to move it over if you want Ken. I didn't have time to try to get it to work! (Also saved one of it peering down below....if we need one of those I will email it to you.)

Re: I am concerned- no confirmation of eaglet sighting

tomsease
I went back to the nest again this morning from about 8-830, hoping to see the eaglet again but no such luck.  No activity at all either at the nest or in the malaleucas.  I even went over to the lake in front of Chapel Trail where the vultures hang out to see if I could have mistaken what we saw for one of them.  It's possible since I am pretty new to this but, especially after watching those vultures for awhile, I still think what we saw was the eaglet.  The vultures are darker & don't seem to fly as fast as the eagles.  It was about 6:30pm the other day when we saw it so the lighting was still very good.  I had gone back over to the nest from the malaleuca area & the eaglet flew over my head (maybe 50 ft. up) going towards the malaleucas.   He/she was between me & the sun so I couldn't get a good picture.  The other gentleman was already in front of the malaleucas & he got a perfectly-framed, wingtip to wingtip picture of the bird above him.  He was concerned that he might not have been perfectly focused but it looked very good to me when he showed it to me on his camera.  Hopefully, he will post it soon so we can be sure.

I visited the nest this afternoon around 3:00 - 3:45 and only saw the male, perched just above and to the right of the nest, barely visible throught the branches. I scrutinized the surrounding trees from several perspectives and saw no sign of the eaglet or other adult. The March 29th sighting was never confirmed by photos, and photos were not forthcoming. Even a bad shot could confirm the identity of the eaglet.

It was described as flying over the nest and with the sun behind it. There have been many vultures flying around the nest and under the poor lighting conditions as described it would be reassuring if we had evidence that the bird was correctly identified. Please post any photos of the eaglet, no matter what the quality so that we can be sure.

Here are my two "best" shots of the male at the nest.

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2012-2013 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML