Incubating adult seen low on nest-- TODAY is incubation day #29 of 35

Incubating adult seen low on nest-- TODAY is incubation day #29 of 35

The first egg should hatch on or about Sunday January 15th, if our assumptions are correct.  See the latest spreadsheet of milestones for each nesting season.

Mary Lou and I visited the nest yesterday (twice) and today. Both times, we found an adult bird low in the nest. Yesterday, we saw an adult eagle carrying a large fish from Chapel Trail Nature Preserve in a westerly direction, a course which is north of the nest site, but we drove back to see if there was any more action (there was not).  We had to wait quite a while to be sure we were indeed seeing the top of its head yesterday, though the photos clearly demonstrated that we had. As we arrived today the adult bird stood up and changed position, but my camera was not ready. I did just get the top of its head and one eye. No other adult eagles were seen either day.

We also got photos of a Red-shouldered Hawk on the Melaleucas just west of the nest--

Yesterday, we also photographed a small raptor that was only about the size of a dove. I thought it looked like a Merlin, judging by its "ice cream cone" falcon shape (rather than the cylinndrical look of a Sharp-shinned Hawk). Sharpies usually do not sit out in the open like this, in my experience. Yet, when I looked at the photos, I really an not sure it was a Merlin. Note that it has a small prey bird, whose legs protrude to the right (my guess is that it is a Palm Warble, which has long legs). The whole time the raptor stood on only one foot, and it never turned around to show its breast pattern, which is not heavily streaked in this view, another argument against Merlin. The white spots on its back are interesting, though I do not know their significance.

I agree with the consensus of others who have viewed this photo that it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. Here is a photo of a Merlin that was roosting at the top of a tree just to the west and slightly behind the nest tree, in May 2011:

Re: Incubating adult seen low on nest-- TODAY is incubation day #29 of 35

Greg Greer
I know I am late in reply to your question about the sharpie vs merlin image that you posted.  I just want to comment that eye color is important in distinguishing accipiters from falcon species.  The kestrels, merlins and peregrines have dark eyes (brown) where as the sharpies and cooper's have yellow eyes as HY birds, orangish as 2nd yr and red as adults.  The eye color of the bird in your photograph is yellowish, therefore it is a first year accipiter.  It is an interesting photograph as sharpies do not often perch in the open as your photograph clearly illustrates.

Re: Incubating adult seen low on nest-- TODAY is incubation day #29 of 35

Thanks for your helpful comments, Greg. Interestingly, I saw "true" Merlin at the eagle nest site only this past week: