JAN 1 -- Welfare check after fireworks-- all is well.

JAN 1 -- Welfare check after fireworks-- all is well.

After all the fireworks last night, as usual I was anxious to check on the welfare of the eagles at the nest. Once incubation is established they are normally quite tolerant of disturbance. They are most sensitive when first building or renovating the nest, and again when the eaglets are near fledging stage, when they are at risk of falling prematurely. Sure enough, an adult was sitting on the egg(s). Judging from the size of it head and how more of its body was elevated above the nest rim, I assume it was Joy, the female.

I think I could discern the "scar" of her previous head injury in this view as she tended to the egg(s).

I arrived before 10:30 AM and had waited about a half hour before she changed positions and provided a better view.

She did this again just before I departed at about 11:30 AM. The mate was not ever in sight.

Re: JAN 1 -- Welfare check after fireworks-- all is well.

Lisa G
Great Pictures Ken .. Thanks For sharing
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net