JAN 14: Third eagle appears briefly at 12:45 PM

JAN 14: Third eagle appears briefly at 12:45 PM

Mary Lou and I arrived at the nest just after 12:30 PM and saw two adults standing in the nest. Almost immediately, one flew towards the east and then disappeared to the south. Pride stayed on the nest and kept looking towards the southeast.

After about 5 minutes he flew out towards us and circled east and then behind the nest but returned to the nest within 3 minutes carrying a stick.

He was restless and kept looking out behind and to the left (SE) for about 10 minutes, then flew out again.

This time he circled over the nest and quickly gained altitude, flying in a tight circle directly overhead. During all this time we heard no calls.

While he was high overhead a second eagle (which photos show to be the first female, "Newfee") flew in from the south and they interacted by flying near each other.

Then, to our surprise, a third eagle appeared from the north. Newfee immediately chased after the new bird, calling loudly. The third eagle appeared darker but they were so high up and in the bright southern sky that I could see no plumage detail. They had what I would describe as a hostile encounter, as they flew at each other with talons out but did not touch. We could see then for only a few seconds, as they disappeared behind the trees, still calling.

Pride returned to the nest and remained there alone until we departed at about 1:15 PM.

Re: JAN 14: Third eagle appears briefly at 12:45 PM

Lisa G
Great Pictures Kens, Looks like they are bonding very well
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net