JAN 19: Pride seen feeding eaglet(s) 9:30 AM

JAN 19: Pride seen feeding eaglet(s) 9:30 AM

Yesterday afternoon we watched the nest from about 3:30 to 4:00 PM and could not see any eagles. Since the right side of the nest is obstructed by the fallen branch it is possible that an adult was incubating or brooding eaglets out of sight. Liz stayed on and posted subsequently. We visited the Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle nest at about 9:30 and watched until 10:10 AM this morning JAN 19. It was a cool 56 degrees (F) with a brisk northerly wind of about 8-10 MPH. The male (Pride) was standing on the nest.

He turned his back to tear at a prey item and clearly was feeding small morsels to one or more eaglets.

He continued the feeding until 10:00 AM, when he flew to a branch just above and to the right of the nest to clean his bill.

After approximately two minutes he flew to another branch which was a bit higher. He seemed restless and was looking about. We thought he might be waiting for his mate (Jewel) to return. He did not vocalize. In the meantine the nest remained uncovered.

Phil joined us just after 10:00 AM, and we had to depart at 10:10. Phil later texted us to say he only was able to watch until 10:15 Am and there had been no change-- Pride was still roosting and Jewel had not returned. Later Phil visited, at 12:45 PM and reported that now Jewel was roosting on the branch near the nest and that there was no adult on the nest. In view of the cool temperatures, this seems a bit unusual.

Re: JAN 19: Pride seen feeding eaglet(s) 9:30 AM

Liza
I went by around 11:00 am stayed 20 min. No signs of either Eagle. I came back at 1:10 till 1:45 still no signs. I came back to the nest at 4:30 pm . No Eagles were spotted, as I observed from the car parked on the North side I saw Pride come in 5:15pm. He perched himself on his favorite branch that's to the right of the nest . Clouds covered the little light we had making it very difficult to get decent captures . No signs of any activity other than ruffling his feathers once and awhile . I headed back home at 6:10 where he still remained on the branch just to the right of the nest .

Liza

Re: JAN 19: Pride seen feeding eaglet(s) 9:30 AM

Linda954
Could it be Jewel is too young and inexperienced to know she needs to keep them warm.