JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

At 1;52 PM Broward Sheriff Office in Deerfield reported that the Quiet Waters Bald Eagle nest has fallen down and there are one or more eaglets on the ground. At 2:01 PM I called South Florida Wildlife Center and they will send a rescue ambulance immediately..

Re: JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

Speechykeane
I just drove by the site and thought the nest was gone.  (So i logged on to this forum to see if anyone posted something.)  I did see one adult flying into the trees just east of the nest.  If possible keep us posted on the status of the eaglets. Thank you!!

Re: JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

I notified Hellene first, at 1:56 PM via text message and Facebook post as soon as I concluded the call from Broward Sheriff's Deerfield Dispatch and got to my computer. When I did not hear back from her I called South Florida Wildlife Center at 2:01 PM.

Sheriff's office did get the first call from Quiet Waters Park but I do not know who called them. They only had the address of the Park office on Powerline Road.

After finding the coordinates on Google Earth I called South Florida Wildlife Center again. They said they had received a second call within minutes after mine from someone who gave them the exact location.

Hellene never got back to me but at 2:30 PM she messaged Liza Morffiz and asked for my phone number. By then she was probably on her way to the nest.

To her credit, Barbara in Deerfield BSO called me again at 2:43 PM  just to follow up and let me know that the location was secured and some responders were on site.

One of the two eaglets perished in the fall. I believe that Hellene brought the surviving eaglet to Busch Gardens for rehab. It was said to have a fracture in a wing bone.

Re: JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

Speechykeane
I am sad to hear that one eaglet did not survive..  And hopeful that the other will heal...  South Fl Wildlife confirmed that the eaglet(s) were transported to Busch Wildlife.  Hopefully our Quiet Waters Eagles will nest here again but in a more protected area...  Their nest last spring collapsed (after the eaglets could fly thank goodness) Their nesting tree this season was very open to the elements and the crazy wind yesterday...  I know it's "nature" and "survival of the fittest" but I was really effected by this.  Thank you for the updates!

Re: JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

The Tropical Audubon Society had a field trip in north Broward County and just happened to be watching the Quiet Waters nest (from a legal and safe distance) just when the nest fell. This is an excerpt from the disheartening report as posted on the TAS Bird Board on JAN 23. It is very timely in view of the concerns about ethical behavior at the Pembroke Pines nest:

Sadly, the group was witness to the blowdown of the Bald Eagle nest at Quiet Waters Park today. As it so happened, there was a couple that had pulled off the highway and were irresponsibly standing directly under the nest taking photos (seriously agitating the adults) who were nearly struck. They were, however, able to report to the group that there was a single, newly hatched chick that had survived the fall. We were able to quickly get in touch with one of the park naturalists who was on his way out to the chick as we left (we could not get out there as we were on the other side of the boundary fence).

Re: JAN 23: Deerfield Beach Nest has fallen down

Speechykeane
Wow..  I wondered why they didn't block off or protect the area around this new nest..  It was open to anyone..  Mowers, people...  I have never seen anyone pull over though..  (Only the eagle monitor occasionally). This area should be restricted..