JUNE 9: Adult (Pride?) in flight with line trailing behind

JUNE 9: Adult (Pride?) in flight with line trailing behind

In SW Miramar, early this morning, about 7 minutes after sunrise under a gray sky, an adult briefly appeared overhead between the treetops. I noticed that a string or line was streaming about 4-5 feet behind it. I was late with my camera and only captured sky and two partial images of the eagle in terrible light. I think it was the male (Pride), based on my impression of smaller size. This location is about 1 1/2 mile ESE of the Pembroke Pines nest and a common route used by the eagles on their way to the big (Lighthouse Island) lake in Sunset Lakes.

Not sure whether this is cause for concern. The eagle may be carrying a small dark object to which the string is attached. Alternatively it could have been snagged by fishing tackle. Please keep an eye out for it.

I have briefly visited the nest a couple of times this past week and always found it vacant with no eagles in sight.

Re: Adult (Pride?) in flight with line trailing behind

This morning at just about sunrise, the same Bald Eagle flew over, following the same course and a bit farther away, except that this time I was out in the open. Note the same pattern of the first five feathers of its right wingtip. Good news is that it was not snagged or entangled in the line which it was carrying.

Re: Adult (Pride?) in flight with line trailing behind

Phil Martin's latest update (JUN 11 2019):

Good morning Ken,

I’m happy to see Pride doesn’t have the string in tow.

The last time I saw an Eaglet was on 5/30 at 09:30, at the nest. It was the female and before I could take a photo she departed to the west.

The last time I saw an Adult was Pride on 5/18 at 11:02. The last time I saw the adult female was on 4/24 at 10:56. She flew over the nest coming from the north.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone