Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

This photo was sent by Lil Gilar. At first she thought it was a baby lamb, which would be very unusual as it would be much too heavy for these eagles to carry. On closer examination it proved to be a bird with a beak that could be that of a gull. Or is a nestling of another species-- a raptor? Its feathers are macerated-- very odd and I cannot identify it. Could it have been road kill? I will post a link to this on the TAS board for help.

This photo is posted with permission of it owner, Lil Gilar and may not be otherwise reproduced without her permission. Here is her note:

> Hello Ken,
>
> My husband and I have been taking pictures of the PP Eagles since January. We have thoroughly been enjoying taking photos at the nest. This past Friday we were there and we witness one of the youngsters flying, what an awesome sight. Shortly after both youngsters were in the nest one of the parents came with a meal. Oh my, it was a baby lamb. I was able to capture that but not sure if you'd like it posted.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Lil Gillar

Re: Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

Here is another view, from Lil. It is easy to see why she thought it to be a four-legged creature!

Re: Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

My best guess is that it is a nestling Little Blue Heron. Here is a blog with multiple photos of one:

http://redandthepeanut.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

Re: Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

I wrote this in response to a TAS post that suggested it may be a baby flamingo, perhaps from Hialeah race track or Flamingo Gardens, which is nearer but still a bit out of customary hunting range of the Bald Eagle. Phil may know whether the flamingos are under a cover there and if any have been lost to predators.

Bill size, shape and black tip are consistent with baby flamingo. Hialeah is a bit out of the supposed 4-5 mile radius of foraging range (when prey is scarce), about 10 miles away, and I am pretty sure that the flamingos in Flamingo Gardens are under wire. Very interesting!

Re: Large immature bird carried to eaglets FRI APR 18

Although the baby bird that was fed to the eaglets on April 4, 2014 certainly resembled a flamingo nestling, Flamingo Gardens reported that all their birds were accounted for. (Sorry for the late post but I forgot to enter this information at the time).

Here is a link to a series of photos of flamingo hatchlings. While the prey bird's bill seems to fit, its legs do not much resemble those of a flamingo. Still a bit of a mystery as no experts have ventured any other opinions. I'll stick with identifying it as a Little Blue Heron nestling.

See: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/tags/babyflamingo/