MAR 13: Jewel flying over west Miramar wetlands

MAR 13: Jewel flying over west Miramar wetlands

For the fourth day in a row, a large adult Bald Eagle was seen flying over the unpaved west extension of Miramar Boulevard. It was seen about 20-30 minutes after sunrise, moving from the north to south in the direction of the large lake in Sunset Lakes subdivision. A couple of weeks ago I photographed Jewel doing the same. On MAR 13 it flew right over my head and I got a good photo which shows the two tail feather quills which are dark towards the tips. They are probably the outer tail feathers, as these are the ones which fold under the tail when it is closed, and they seem to show only on the undersides of the tail. They are clearly visible in this shot-- Jewel she is!