MAY 6: Male eaglet struck power lines, grounded but not yet relocated

MAY 6: Male eaglet struck power lines, grounded but not yet relocated

A nest observer provided this disturbing news. Thanks for your dedication and difficult work to try to find the eaglet. Hopefully he survived and the parents will lure him back to the nest within the next day or so. Eagle watchers, please keep an eye out for the return or location of this juvenile bird and also report on the welfare of both nest-mates. If you find him with any signs of injury please notify South Florida Wildlife Center at 954-524-4302. The report:

Ken, I got a call this morning that the male Eaglet impacted the power wires and fell to the ground. I believe this to be one of his first attempts at flight. I responded and found the female Eaglet orbiting the area. I called SFWR and we went in and search for him. We could not find him or any signs of him.

Hopefully he was uninjured and flew off. We searched for about an hour. The brush was very think and I got cut up pretty good. It was very wet and the entire time we were walked in calf deep mud.