March 22 - Eaglet helicoptering this morning

March 22 - Eaglet helicoptering this morning

Mary Lou and I stopped by the nest around 7:45 this morning and found the eaglet siting on the left rim of the nest, appearing to be waiting for a food drop. We saw no adults in the vicinity and the eaglet remained quiet for over half hour. We returned to the nest at about 9:30, when the eaglet was more active, flapping and helicoptering a couple of inches above the nest. No branching noted and no adults were present.

A Merlin was perched in the usual spot at the top of the tallest dead tree just west of the nest.

Merlin in flight

A Cattle Egret was hunting for dragonflies in front of the nest area-- there were many Halloween Pennants in the grass. The egret sported nice pinkish orange plumes.