Monday, January 23 -- Another change of shifts in afternoon

Monday, January 23 -- Another change of shifts in afternoon

I visited the eagle nest twice yesterday (morning and afternoon of Monday January 23). Their behavior confirms that one or more eaglets have hatched. We saw feeding activity-- tearing at prey and bringing fragments of food down into the nest, though we did not see any eaglets. They usually do not appear over the rim of the nest until about 7-10 days after the first one hatched. These shots were taken in the afternoon, between 4 and 5 PM, after i joined Barry Heimlich and Doug Young at the nest site.

When I arrived the female was brooding and appeared to be feeding the young.

After an interval of about 20 minutes, the male (on the right) flew into the nest from behind. The female, on the left, is more bulky and her head and bill appear larger. To my eye, she seems to have a slightly thicker brow than the male, while the base of the male's bill is almost in a direct line with its sloping forehead.

The pair exchanged greetings, and the the female flew off to roost in the dead melaleuca west of the nest.

He may have brought a large white bird with dark on the primary feathers-- perhaps a White Ibis.

The male then tore at the white bird, plucking it and appearing to deliver small particles to one or more chicks.

RE: Monday, January 23 -- Another change of shifts in afternoon

georgia

The first hatch occurred at Sequoyah today!  All is well in eagledom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3oggyTjdN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KCTfyawkGM

Georgia

I visited the eagle nest twice yesterday (morning and afternoon of Monday January 23). Their behavior confirms that one or more eaglets have hatched. We saw feeding activity-- tearing at prey and bringing fragments of food down into the nest, though we did not see any eaglets. They usually do not appear over the rim of the nest until about 7-10 days after the first one hatched. These shots were taken in the afternoon, between 4 and 5 PM, after i joined Barry Heimlich and Doug Young at the nest site.

When I arrived the female was brooding and appeared to be feeding the young.

Image removed by sender.

After an interval of about 20 minutes, the male (on the right) flew into the nest from behind. The female, on the left, is more bulky and her head and bill appear larger. To my eye, she seems to have a slightly thicker brow than the male, while the base of the male's bill is almost in a direct line with its sloping forehead.

Image removed by sender.

The pair exchanged greetings, and the the female flew off to roost in the dead melaleuca west of the nest.

Image removed by sender.

He may have brought a large white bird with dark on the primary feathers-- perhaps a White Ibis.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

The male then tore at the white bird, plucking it and appearing to deliver small particles to one or more chicks.

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

To start a new topic under Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML