Monday, March 5-- Feeding in the morning

Monday, March 5-- Feeding in the morning

This morning we visited the local Bald Eagle nest for about an hour from at about 8:20. At first we were concerned because there was no sign of life. At this age we expect the eaglet to be up and flapping about at least every 5 minutes or so. The nest platform is huge, perhaps 8 feet across, and the eaglet tends to rest on its far side. After about 20 minutes an adult flew in without prey. We were not sure whether it was the male or female parent. We could hear the eaglet's call, as if begging. The adult appeared to be tearing at prey and perhaps briefly feeding the eaglet, but it flew away after only about three minutes.

We still could not see the eaglet and worried that perhaps it had fallen out of the nest and the adult was trying to entice it back to the nest with food. There followed another ten minutes or so of inactivity. At about 9:00 AM an adult that appeared to be the female parent came in with a fish. We were relieved to see the head of the eaglet as he took the food.

Judging from the height of its forehead, this may be the female:

Re: Monday, March 5-- Feeding in the morning

Mike Fossler
Great shots Ken - beautiful weather for viewing and photographing! Your patience this morning paid off.