Monday NOV 18 both eagles roosting in dead tree near 208th Ave

Monday NOV 18 both eagles roosting in dead tree near 208th Ave

Mary Lou and I were on our way to the Post Office and planned to stop by the nest. Going westbound on Pines, as we approached the light at SW 208th we could see both eagles perched out on a limb of the dead tree just SW of the corner. They were in plain sight of the road. Other motorists were stopping and pointing as well. We parked near 209th and I hurried up to get photos of the pair. The male, on the right,  is noticeably smaller than the female-- it is easy to tell when they are next to each other. Also note that he has of a forehead than the female-- the top of his bill is almost in line with the top of his head.

Al joined me shortly after we arrived. As we watched, an interesting thing happened. Eagles, like other raptors, must spit out pellets that contain undigested prey remains, such as feather shafts, beaks, fur, teeth  and claws. The male started retching and I expected him to expel a pellet.

Instead, he regurgitated a long stream of white mucoid liquid!

Another interesting image was this of the "headless" female as she preened her back feathers.

Re: Monday NOV 18 both eagles roosting in dead tree near 208th Ave

Lisa G
Great pictures Ken .. Not sure if you are Following our Facebook page we have everyone sharing there pictures .. I hope you don't mind me sharing your great Pictures on our Facebook page and we would love to share your pictures on our Website also . I was at the nest for awhile yesterday and I got to meet Mike Levin and Marcia Abrahams it is so nice meeting everyone and the support they are giving to Pride & Joy .. I look forward to meeting more Supporters of Pride & Joy ...

 https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300?ref=br_tf

Our Website www.southfloridaeaglenest.org
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: Monday NOV 18 both eagles roosting in dead tree near 208th Ave

No problem, Lisa. My photos here are licensed under the Creative Commons License and may be used for non-commercial/educational purposes with attribution to Kenneth Cole Schneider. I appreciate being informed when any of my photos are published.

Thank you!

Re: Monday NOV 18 both eagles roosting in dead tree near 208th Ave

Lisa G
No Problem Ken .. I understand..I only share on the Eagle Facebook page to update everyone on the Eagles :) if you would like to add any pictures to the website please let me know and we will be more then Happy to
put them up for you ... You have great pictures and everyone should see them :):)