Monday October 8 at 7:49 AM adult flying to Sunset Lake (Photo)

Monday October 8 at 7:49 AM adult flying to Sunset Lake (Photo)

Again, as has been the case twice before the past couple of weeks, we saw and photographed a single adult flying on the direct course from the nest area towards foraging territory at the Lighthouse lake in Sunset Lakes. This was exactly a half hour after sunrise. The sightings have all been between 30 and 60 minutes after sunrise.

The birds must be waiting until lighting conditions are adequate for fishing and hunting, so it is best to look for the pair just after sunrise or later in the day when they return to the nest territory. Kelly Smith might be able to find out if one or more eagles roost at the lighthouse during the day.

The male Osprey will feed the female during courtship, but I could find no reference to such a behavior in Bald Eagles. We have seen food exchanges from one foraging adult to the one brooding young in the nest, but no one has reported one adult bringing food to the other during incubation. Therefore we might assume that this bird could be either the male or the female.

Taken from the area of the "Fake Hammock" along the unpaved part of Miramar Parkway where it turns north to join SW 196th Avenue.