NOV 18: Immature eagle flying south of nest

NOV 18: Immature eagle flying south of nest

At 8:00 AM this morning I saw an immature Bald Eagle flying over the Miramar Parkway/SW 195th Ave extension from west to east over the wetlands from a point about 1 mile south and east of the PP nest.

Its belly and wings  looked almost black with a few blotches of white. Its bill was dark except for the base which was pale bone-colored. It had white "armpit" (axillary) patches and its flight feathers showed signs of molt from the juvenile to 2nd year plumage, causing a jagged appearance to the trailing edge of its wings. It is probably about one year old. Of course we do not know its origin but it could be one of last season's eaglets. It disappeared from view as it flew over the Harbour Lakes subdivision in Miramar.