NOV 27: Sub-adult eagle 1.5 mi SE of nest

NOV 27: Sub-adult eagle 1.5 mi SE of nest

At 7:00 AM this morning I saw a sub-adult male Bald Eagle roosting on a power pole at the corner of Pembroke Rd & SW 196th Ave in Pembroke Pines, about 1.5 miles SE of the eagle nest on Pines Boulevard. Note that it has a dark body,  dark streaks on its white head and tail, an "Osprey  lines" behind both eyes, and the tips of its tail feathers are dark. It looks a bit small and compact, perhaps indicating it is a male. Since it is within the foraging area of the Pembroke Pines pair, we should watch for any signs of interaction with them.

Then, an hour later, I saw an adult eagle flying in from the west (south of the nest), about 1/4 mile to the south of the location of the sub-adult's roosting spot. The alarm calls of an Osprey alerted me as it approached. It took a pass at the Osprey but kept going east, in the direction of the Harbour Lakes subdivision in Miramar.