NOV 29 - Adult sitting deep in nest: incubating?

NOV 29 - Adult sitting deep in nest: incubating?

Mary Lou and I visited the nest twice this morning, at about 8:45 and again at 10:15 AM. Both times we saw an adult sitting deep in the nest, strongly suggesting that incubation is underway. Its head  was barely visible above the rim of the nest. As others have observed, the nest has been enlarged considerably.

Interestingly, on Sunday November 25 we visited the Harbour Lakes mitigation wetland just south of the Pembroke Road right-of-way and SW 196th Avenue. This is about 1.5 miles southeast of the eagle nest. We saw a single adult Bald Eagle fly over the large congregation of herons, ibises, spoonbills and White Pelicans that were gathered there.

As the eagle passed over, traveling NW towards the nest area, hundreds of birds flew up and circled about before settling down again.

On Tuesday, November 22 we saw a single Bald Eagle roosting in an Australian Pine along the north shore of the wetlands. I could not determine whether it had prey because it started to drizzle and I had to walk back home in a hurry.