Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Hello,

Today I noticed the south half of the nest has fallen more and one chick was missing. I found it in a tree about 20 feet below the nest and it looks like it was the one that was hoping all over yesterday and probably missed a landing and fell, so it looks like an accidental fledge. I think it looks okay but I can't tell for sure.

   I think it will be able to fly to the nest in a day or so, and I can't tell what the adults are doing about it as they didn't come out from the trees in back. I hope the chick is okay The nest looks like it could fall anytime, in fact the chick left in the nest sat perched on a branch instead of the nest the whole time I was there.

Adding a picture of the nest.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Stephanie5056
Can you call CROW to help the chick?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:24 PM Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Today I noticed the south half of the nest has fallen more and one chick was missing. I found it in a tree about 20 feet below the nest and it looks like it was the one that was hoping all over yesterday and probably missed a landing and fell, so it looks like an accidental fledge. I think it looks okay but I can't tell for sure.

   I think it will be able to fly to the nest in a day or so, and I can't tell what the adults are doing about it as they didn't come out from the trees in back. I hope the chick is okay The nest looks like it could fall anytime, in fact the chick left in the nest sat perched on a branch instead of the nest the whole time I was there.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-One-Chick-out-of-nest-tp7576031.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
Maybe if it needs help, If it can't fly or is not being fed by the adults? At this age I would give it time to let nature take its course. We'll see in the next couple of days.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Stylechick60
Awe  looks like Mom and dad need to make a more secure nest for next family 🙏🏻❤️

Praying everything will be ok with the babies ....

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2021, at 8:40 PM, Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Maybe if it needs help, If it can't fly or is not being fed by the adults? At this age I would give it time to let nature take its course. We'll see in the next couple of days.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-One-Chick-out-of-nest-tp7576031p7576033.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Stephanie5056
CROW will advise what to do. In other nests i watch they came and got the baby in this type of situation. Accidental fledges happen but if the nest is falling this baby won’t have a chance.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-One-Chick-out-of-nest-tp7576031p7576034.html
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
I posted it on Eagle Watch Page to ask what they think.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

naturegirl
Aren't they at the age where they are ready to fledge they should be 11-12 weeks old by now. CROW is on the west coast what about Busch wildlife in jupiter ?

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
Hello,

Shawnlei answered back along with others that say it should be okay, we'll just keep an eye on it. As far as I can tell from the posts, they were born in early Jan.

Edit: I think we should try to keep people back from the nest until this chick either can fly or makes it back to the nest. Yesterday it was just below the nest in a bush and it can see all that happens at the site. Thanks.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

naturegirl
how do we keep the people back last time i was there as i was leaving a black pickup truck and white unmarked van pulled off from the turnpike like they were headed right under the nest. i didn't have time to go all the way around to check on them.  i will try to get over there later to see what's going on

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
Hi Naturegirl,

All you can do is try to wave them back from going under there, I usually do that then I go talk to them and explain why I told them not to go under there, and about the distances. Most people are okay with it, I only had one person this year who didn't listen to me. Boy was she a tough one.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

I have not run the statistics lately but--

FYI--

Age when first eaglet fledged (first 6 breeding seasons at Pembroke Pines nest 2008-2014)
~65 to 86 days old Average 76.5 days, (~ 9-11 weeks)  Median 73 days or about 10-11 weeks
The entire spreadsheet for the Pembroke Pines nest may be accessed at:

 http://www.rosyfinch.com/EagleMilestonesSheet.pdf

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
Hi Ken,

Thanks, I have them hatching from the Jan. 7th-12th according to our posts on this group. That makes them about 9 weeks today? I'm heading over there now for lunch break.

down to 1 eaglet was there from 11:30 - 12:05 did NOT see the second one only the parents and last remaining eaglet in nest.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Stylechick60
Could he have flown away this early? 🙏🏻

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-One-Chick-out-of-nest-tp7576031p7576046.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

Rockitglider
yes, could have but well see. It could be on a tree in back. I think they try to get to their parents tree for a first target.

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

naturegirl wrote
down to 1 eaglet was there from 11:30 - 12:05 did NOT see the second one only the parents and last remaining eaglet in nest.
I got there right after you left and I didn't see it either

Re: Nest Visit One Chick out of nest!

naturegirl
Mitcha just posted eaglet is on the ground sounds like he can't fly