Nest Watch 1-4 4:15-6:05 PM

Jill W
One adult was visible on the nest about 85% of the time.  Sometimes, I could just see the top of a white head, but usually the incubating eagle's eyes and beak were in plain view.
It was not until 5:48 that the other eagle showed up at the nest to take over.  There was no conflict and it was quick.
One thing that puzzled me was that the eagle that took over had its beak open like it was panting.  Surely, it was not panting from heat as it was about 57 degrees at the time.  Could it have been exhausted?
The eagle that left the nest flew to a horizontal branch on a very close Australian Pine (the tallest one to the right/west).  It stood there and preened until 6:00 when it flew a little to the west then crossed Pines Blvd and flew to the north.  I lost sight of it and when it did not return after 5 minutes, I left.  It was getting pretty dark out there.
Jill